Thursday, March 29, 2012

The White Tiger, Aravind Adiga

Mr. Premier, Sir. Neither you nor I speak English, but there are some things that can be said only in English. My ex-employer the late Mr. Ashok's ex-wife, Pinky Madam, taught me one of these things; and at 11:32 p.m. today, which was about ten minutes ago, when the lady on All India Radio announced, "Premier Jiabao is coming to Bangalore next week," I said that thing once. 

This was such a great book, funny and interesting. Balram Halwai, a complicated man (servant, philosopher, entrepreneur, murderer), tells the reader his story over seven nights. His story, of how he became a success- with only his own wits. I really loved this book. I did. I loved it. Adiga has a really great writing style, so funny but matter-of-fact. This was a much better book than The Great Indian Novel, though with a sort of similar writing style and prupose.  I'm even tempted to purchase a copy for myself, though I probably won't...

Read The White Tiger:
  • if you are interested in India
  • if you are looking for a great, funny, thought-provoking novel
276 pages.


Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

1 comment:

  1. Thought you'd like this one. Good luck at the Geo Bee tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete