Friday, March 30, 2012

1984, George Orwell

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him. 


This is such a grim, frightening and scary book by George Orwell. Set in 1984, it depicts a horrible society where Big Brother (the government) is always watching and you can be punished for "thought crimes." There is no freedom at all, and it is just a really punishing and strict society. Winston Smith tries to rebel against the government, and meets two people, Julia, a young woman who hands him a note reading, "I love you" and O'Brien, a mysterious man at his workplace. One of these people betrays him, and, against his own instincts, he betrays the other.

This is a pretty engaging and suspenseful book, though like I said, it was quite grim, and I think I preferred Animal Farm, as it was more effective in terms of the point Orwell was trying to make and was not quite so grim. However, still a good book.

Read 1984:

  • if you like George Orwell
  • if you like science fiction
308 pages.

 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, I haven't read either, but I saw the play of Animal Farm, and I thought it was pretty grim. Brilliant, though.

    ReplyDelete