Saturday, March 10, 2012

Paula: A Memoir, Isabel Allende

Listen, Paula. I am going to tell you a story, so that when you wake up you will not feel so lost. 


This is a really hearbreaking and great work. Allende wrote this book in a hospital in Madrid, when her daughter Paula fell into a coma. It's sort of like a letter to Paula, telling her about the Allende family, and Isabel's own childhood and life. This was such a moving book, especially since Paula never woke up from her coma. It sort of has the feel of The House of the Spirits, because Allende accepts magical and spiritual worlds as a matter of course. I just love Allende's writing, and I really felt for her throughout this book. It was more immediate; it was her own daughter. (Though I did find out that The House of the Spirits was written as a tribute to her grandfather.) Her writing just feels to real and true; it's just wonderful. You really must read at least one of her books.

Read Paula:

  • if you like emotional memoirs
  • if you like Isabel Allende
330 pages.

 

Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment