Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, William Kamkwamba & Bryan Mealer

Before I discovered the miracles of science, magic ruled the world. Magic and its many mysteries were a presence that hovered about constantly, giving me my earliest memory as a boy- my father saved me from certain death and became the hero he is today. 


William Kamkwamba grew up in Malawi, where magic still ruled and modern science was a mystery. But he dreamed of using a windmill to provide something that most people in Malawi didn't have- running water and electricity. This is the story of his childhood and adolescence spent in Malawi. One thing that I enjoyed about the book was the combining of magic and science. Kamkwamba describes the magical and cultural beliefs of the people, as well as the new scientific technology that was just arriving in Malawi. Also, he describes a terrible famine that occurred in 2001 with great, heartbreaking detail.

Read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind:

  • if you like stories about progress in poor countries
  • if you like stories about people trying to fulfill their dreams
286 pages.

 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment