Saturday, March 17, 2012

Almost a Woman, Esmeralda Santiago

In the twenty-one years I lived with my mother, we moved at least twenty times. we stuffed our belongs into ragged suitcases, boxes with bold advertising on the sides, pillowcases, empty rice sacks, cracker tins that smelled of flour and yeast.

As a child, Esmeralda Santiago moved from Puerto Rico to New York City. This is her second memoir, and though I haven't read the first one, I found this quite interesting. It tells mainly of her confusion as a teenager; is she Puerto Rican or is she American? And of course, the book tells about her life. I enjoyed this book; it was a great coming-of-age story as Santiago struggled to determine who she was.

Read Almost a Woman:
  • if you like memoirs
  • if you are interested in immigration
  • if you are interested in Puerto Rican immigrants specifically
311 pages.

Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment