Sunday, October 21, 2012

Rereading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I stare at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather. This is where the bed I shared with my sister, Prim, stood. Over there was the kitchen table. The bricks of the chimney, which collapsed in a charred heap, provide a point of reference for the rest of the house. How else could I orient myself in this sea of gray?

As most of you probably know, Mockingjay is the third and final book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I reread The Hunger Games and Catching Fire fairly recently, so I wanted to finish the trilogy a second time. The first time around, I didn't like Mockingjay nearly as much; I thought it was too violent. It's grown on me though. The first time I read it, I was going through really fast, and didn't pay enough attention to Katniss's struggle and grief. It was really heartbreaking. The second half is still a little to violent for my tastes, but I definitely enjoyed it much more.

Mockingjay begins basically where Catching Fire left off. Katniss, Gale, and Finnick are now at the District 13 rebel base. But Peeta is still in the hands of the Capitol. The story follows Katniss's transformation from a slightly deranged grief-stricken teenager to the Mockingjay, the symbol of the Rebellion, and back again. This is a good conclusion to the series.

Read Mockingjay:
  • if you liked/loved The Hunger Games or Catching Fire
  • if you like science fiction
  • if you like Suzanne Collins
390 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment