Monday, October 15, 2012

Rereading Stardust by Neil Gaiman

There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire. And while that is, as beginnings go, not entirely novel (for every tale about every young man there ever was or will be could start in a similar manner) there was much about this young man and what happened to him that was unusual, although even he never knew the whole of it. The tale started, as many tales have started, in Wall.

I read Stardust two years ago, and really loved it. I don't know why I haven't reread it sooner. It's an amazing fantasy, and though I said I haven't read much adult fantasy (in my review of The Magicians), this is probably considered an adult fantasy. Stardust reads like a fairy tale or fable. It's the story of young Tristan Thorn, who lives in the town of Wall, named for the wall separating it from Faerie. Tristan will do anything to win the cold and beautiful Victoria's heart, even fetching a fallen star from Faerie. But everything, including the star, turns out to be more complicated than he imagined.

I love Gaiman's descriptions, I love his characters, I love everything about this wonderful novel. It may start out a little slowly, but it's well worth a few hours, and is one of those amazing fantasies that have such a great feel to them (like The Neverending Story or perhaps The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.) I would recommend it to everyone who's looking for a short but sweet read.

Read Stardust:
  • if you like fantasy
  • if you like fairy tales or fables
  • if you like Neil Gaiman
248 pages.
 
Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment