Monday, October 29, 2012

Lies Knives and Girls in Red Dresses, Ron Koertge and Andrea Deszo

From "The Stepsisters": I write this on a brailler, a kind of typewriter for the blind. Ella is married and happy. Our Ever After is silence, darkness, and bitterness.

Lies Knives and Girls in Red Dresses is a collection of dark, dark modern fairy tales. They are really dark and grim, I would say. For example, Red Riding Hood actually wanted to know what it's like to be swallowed whole. The stories are basically prose poems; they're written in stanzas, but flow like prose. Koertge was pretty creative, and had me inwardly and ironically chuckling. This is a slim little volume with many illustrations (which were amazing by the way), but it's certainly not for younger readers. There are a few curse words and some references, as well as the fact that some of these stories were pretty scary. It didn't take me that long to read it, and I enjoyed it much more than The Rose and the Beast. Back to the illustrations. They 're kind of disturbing, but very enjoyable, in black and white for the most part. Thanks to Candlewick for providing me with a review copy of this one.

Read Lies Knives and Girls with Red Dresses:
  • if you like Grimm's fairy tales, grim-style
  • if you like dark short stories
87 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment