Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mr. Darcy's Diary, Amanda Grange

Monday 1st July: Have I done the right thing in establishing Georgiana in London, I wonder? The summer is proving to be very hot, and when I visited her this morning, I found her lacking her usual energy. I think I will send her to the coast for a holiday. 

Mr. Darcy's Diary is the story of Pride and Prejudice, from Darcy's perspective, through his diary. I was very glad that I read this, as it was interesting to see his view of things, and how he slowly fell in love with Elizabeth. One thing, though, was that whole conversations were recreated in the book, and most people don't write in their diaries like that. They don't recount word-for-word what people said to them, unless it was really extraordinary. So I think this book would have been much better off as just a novel from Darcy's point of view.

Still, a lot of details are added in the book; for example, it starts before the disastrous event with Wickham and Georgiana, and goes a bit into Darcy and Elizabeth's married life. The writing wasn't wonderful, but it was engaging enough. Amanda Grange has written many diaries from the point of view of the male characters in Jane Austen's novels.

Read Mr. Darcy's Diary:
  • if you like diaries
  • if you like historical fiction
  • if you like Pride and Prejudice (either the book, or one of the movie versions)
  • if you like other Amanda Grange diaries
329 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment