Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Foundation, Isaac Asimov

His name was Gaal Dornick and he was just a country boy who had never seen Trantor before. 

Foundation is an interesting technological/political science fiction. A very famous book, obviously. The Galactic Empire has lasted 12,000 years, but it is predicted by Hari Seldon, a genius scientist/psychologist/mathematician that the Empire will fall within 300 years. So he takes a large group of people to the distant planet of Terminius, to create the Encyclopedia Galatica, a book of knowledge. It won't save the Empire, but at least will prevent the world from falling into chaos for too long. At least, that's what I got from the purpose. The various parts of the book skip from generation to generation of people on Terminus, and their various political problems.

The political element of Foundation was very interesting to me. I hadn't read much political science fiction before. I don't think the world was that well developed; there wasn't a lot of description of it, it was more focused on the various power-plays and intrigues going on. Also, the way that each part is a different time period was a little off-putting; I really would have liked to know more about Gaal Dornick and some of the other characters. But you can't really narrate 300 years of history without skipping many years. At first, I thought Gaal Dornick was going to be the protagonist. I was wrong.

Anyway, Foundation was an intriguing science fiction with an interesting plot, and I'm certainly glad that I decided to read it. The cover says "The Foundation Novels", so perhaps there are other books about this world too? If so, I look forward to (possibly) reading them.

Read Foundation:
  • if you like science fiction
  • if you like books with lots of politics
  • if you like Isaac Asimov
244 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment