Sunday, August 12, 2012

Rereading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air. My muscles are clenched tight against the cold. If a pack of wild dogs were to appear at this moment, the odds of scaling a tree before they attacked are not in my favor. I should get up, move around, and work the stiffness from my limbs. But instead I sit, as motionless as the rock beneath me, while the dawn begins to lighten the woods. I can’t fight the sun. I can only watch helplessly as it drags into a day that I’ve been dreading for months.

Catching Fire is the sequel to The Hunger Games, and I just decided to reread it as well as The Hunger Games, which I reread earlier this summer. In the second book in the series, Katniss and Peeta have (obviously) survived, but her stunt with the berries has caused dissention among the districts, which could turn into full-blown rebellion. And the Capitol is angry. Really angry. And the Quarter Quell is coming up. WARNING, SPOILERS. The Quarter Quell occurs every twenty-five years, and there is a special cruel twist to the games. In the 50th one (the one that Haymitch won), there were twice as many tributes. And now, in the 75th, people who are already victors must go back in. In other words, Katniss (and Peeta) have to return to the arena. But there is still the rebellion going on. I actually think that I like Catching Fire slightly more than The Hunger Games. This is probably because a lot of new characters are interested, like Finnick Odair, Wiress, Beetee, Johanna Mason, etc. etc. Also, it’s the parts about the rebellion that I’m more interested in. Catching Fire is just as suspenseful too, and most of it takes place back in District 12, showing the changing dynamics between Katniss and the people around her. I’ll probably be rereading Mockingjay too sometime soon. And by the way, I really hope that Suzanne Collins writes a book about Finnick & Annie.

Read Catching Fire:
  • if you liked or loved The Hunger Games
  • if you like dystopia science fiction
391 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment