Saturday, August 4, 2012

Rereading Divergent by Veronica Roth

There is one mirror in my house. It is behind a sliding panel in the hallway upstairs. Our faction allows me to stand in front of it on the second day of every third month, the day my mother cuts my hair. 


I first read Divergent in February and I just loved it. Here is what I said in my original review: "In this science-fiction book, the world is divided into five factions, each named after a virtue that they possess. The factions are Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent.) At the age of sixteen, each person must take a test and decide which faction they belong too. For Beatrice, the heroine, this means staying with her family or being who she really is. Of course, there is a romance. Of course, Beatrice, or Tris, as she renames herself, realizes that her society isn't really as perfect as it seems. In other words, all the typical elements of a sci-fi plot- a dystopian world, "heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance" (from jacket.) And yet, I still really enjoyed this book. The society depicted in it is different then other societies written about. At the beginning of the book, it not only seemed perfect to the characters, but to me, the reader, as well. In most sci-fi books, the reader immediately sees that the society is not perfect, though the main character may think it is. In this book, the imperfection of the society is not that easily discovered. But quickly you realize it's a horrible, cruel world. Especially the faction that Tris decides to join. Trouble strikes when Tris becomes a Divergent, meaning that it is possible that she could be in any of three factions. She must choose. This was a great book, and I really loved it. I looked forward to reading the sequel, Insurgent, which comes out in May."


Everything I said there still stands, and also, I think that Divergent is one of those science fiction books that are not just for entertainment, but also make you think. Divergent definitely does. I can see how each of the factions are right in their way; where they're wrong is deciding to split up, rather than taking all the beliefs together. I think that would work much better. I'm not going to talk about how much I love Four, because Becky goes into that, but I did. 


I decided to reread this one in preparation for the sequel, Insurgent, which I'll be reading soon. You can read Becky's reviews of it here and here.


Read Divergent:
  • if you like dystopia science fiction with just the right amount of romance 
  • if you like really suspenseful books
487 pages. 
 
Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment