Friday, June 15, 2012

Rereading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim's warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course, she did. This is the day of the reaping.


What with all the recent hype about the movie, I decided I'd better reread The Hunger Games again. Though certainly not my favorite science fiction, it is interesting-and of course, suspenseful. Something about the blood and gore appeals to teenagers, I guess. I'm sure all of you are familiar with the plot, so I won't go into that in depth. Basically, the Hunger Games are a fight to the death devised by the evil Capitol to keep the districts in line. Our main character, Katniss Everdeen, volunteers for her younger sister, and must fight in the games. Of course there's a love triangle. Isn't there always one in a YA book? Katniss herself, and Peeta, the boy who goes with her to the hunger games, and Gale, her hunting partner. The love triangle certainly adds something to the book, rather than just a big bloodbath (which it is anyway.) I love the character of Rue. The problem with The Hunger Games is that you know of course that Katniss is going to survive because she's the heroine, and frankly, I don't care about Peeta that much. But you're pretty sure he's going to survive too, to keep the love triangle alive. The Hunger Games has a pretty typical YA science fiction plot: violence, love triangle, and all that. But still an absorbing book. The first time I read it I couldn't put it down. I love the concept of the mockingjay in the book; really beautiful, actually. I might reread Catching Fire and Mockingjay too.

Read The Hunger Games:
  • if you like science fiction
  • if you like books with strong heroines
374 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment