Thursday, June 7, 2012

Twenty Years After, Alexandre Dumas

 In a room of the Palais-Cardinal which we already know, near a table with silver gilt corners, loaded with papers and books, a man was sitting, his head resting in his hands.

This is the sequel to The Three Musketeers, which I was really looking forward to reading. And I was not disappointed. Dumas writes in much the same style, though the characters are older. Time has separated d'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, but they meet up once again and try to reform their old friendship. Much intrigue, as usual, is going on in France and England, and the evil Milady's son has returned to seek vengeance for his mother. Also, Cromwell is threatening King Charles I. The musketeers are one the side of the king, which was kind of interesting, because I'm not sure who was in the right, whether Cromwell was a hero or a villain. That point is extremely debatable. 

My favorite part of the book was definitely the part with Milady's son. It was the most exciting and interesting part, mostly because I remembered it from The Three Musketeers, and it was more about d'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, than about the king and queen of France, who, frankly, I didn't care that much about. Still, Twenty Years After was a great sequel, and I'm glad that I read it.

Read Twenty Years After:
  • if you liked The Three Musketeers and want to read the sequel
  • if you like tales of adventure
788 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment