Friday, June 1, 2012

Howard's End is on the Landing: A Year of Reading From Home, Susan Hill

It began like this. I went to the shelves on the landing to look for a book I knew was there. It was not. But plenty of others were and among them I noticed at least a dozen I realized I had never read.


One day, Susan Hill, a British writer was searching for an elusive book, when she noticed that there were tons of books on her shelf that she had never read before. She decided to spend one year only reading books that she already owned; in other words, no new books. Howard's End is on the Landing not only chronicles what she did, but is mostly taken up with various books: the books she loves and rereads, the books she's been meaning to get around to, and the books that she just can't like. They are all quite interesting to read about, and her writing style was engaging too. Hill also met a lot of famous writers, including Roald Dahl! (So jealous...) And many others too. This was a good book, and I'm glad that I took the time to read it. Hill talked about a lot of writers that I had read before (like Trollope) and I got some good recommendations.

Read Howard's End is on the Landing:
  • if you like books about reading and books
  • if you are looking for a good book to read (this is not only a good book itself, but also provides lots of recommendations)
  • if you liked The Yellow Lighted Bookshop
234 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment