Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rereading The Boneshaker by Kate Milford

Missouri, 1913: Strange things can happen at a crossroads. It might look like nothing but a place where two dusty roads meet, but a crossroads can be something more. A crossroads can be something special, a compass with arms reaching to places you might never find the way to again; places that might exist, or might have existed once, or might exist someday, depending on whether or not you decide to look for them. But whatever else it might be, a crossroads is a place where you choose. 


I picked this book up at Orca a couple years ago, not expecting that much. I was very pleasantly surprised, and I really loved reading this book. So, naturally, I decided to reread it. The book is about a girl named Natalie Minks who lives in the town of Arcane, Missouri, which is near a crossroads. Natalie is fascinated with machines, and mechanical things of all sorts. Then a strange medicine show called Dr. Jake Limberleg's Nostrum Fair and Technological Medicine Show comes into town with all sorts of bizarre tonics and strange machines. When Natalie gets a closer look at the weird machines, she knows something is wrong ...and that her town is in danger. This is Kate Milford's first novel, and I must say, it was really good. As the last paragraph of the flap says, "First-time novelist Kate Milford has created a richly textured historical fantasy brimming with magical realism and steampunk elements. It is a story about family, community, and courage, and the necessity of looking evil directly in the ace in order to conquer it."

I've always loved historical fantasy, so really this was the perfect book for me. And just recently, I've become interested in steampunk, and this book definitely has elements of that in. The Boneshaker has a wonderful cast of strange characters, and elements of town folklore in it- like old Tom. I love this book, and if you haven't read it, you should read it now. It was really compelling, suspenseful, and definitely worth an afternoon or two. You can read Becky's review of it here. I was actually quite glad to know that other people really liked it. The Boneshaker reminded me a little bit of The Night Circus, in that there is a strange circus or carnival and magic.Also, Kate Milford is coming out with a new book this September, called The Broken Lands. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Read The Boneshaker:
  • if you like historical fantasy or historical fiction
  • if you like mysteries
  • if you like stories with a really great setting
  • if you like stories with a strange medicine show or carnival
372 pages.
 
Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment