Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers

Overstatement of the century. I didn't like the title, but I loved the book. AHWOSG was definitely a good memoir, but the title was seriously unprecedented. So if you can get over the excessive vanity of the title, you will love, love, love this book. I loved this book. I really did. Just not the title so much.

The narrator of the story (Dave Eggers himself) has problems. (Don't they always?)

Read AHWOSG if you're looking for an interesting book. Actually, it is a pretty good story, a really good story and memoir; I just couldn't quite get over the title immediately. Couldn't Eggers have come up with something else for the title? But it was a good memoir, and very moving, though I wouldn't exactly call it "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius." If you just pretend the title is something different, you'll enjoy it a lot.

Do read it.

437 pages, 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment