Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights, John Steinbeck

I actually acquired this book in the summer; I was very excited when I saw it, as John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors and I'm interested in King Arthur too. However, I only got around to reading it now, and I wasn't disappointed. The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights was basically just a retelling of the old tales, but in Steinbeck's style. And he did add a little bit. I like Mallory well enough, but sometimes he's difficult to read because the whole thing is in the old style. This was a much more engaging version of the stories. It is divided into different sections, dealing with various knights and their adventures. If you've read The Once and Future King by TH White or Thomas Mallory, this would be a good follow-up. Or if you're just interested in King Arthur's times. Also, the edition I read had a lot of extra sections like letters between Steinbeck and his literary agent. Apparently the book was an unfinished manuscript, but it was still wonderful to read, especially since I'm a fan of Steinbeck. It was an amazing book.
Read The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights:

  • if you enjoy John Steinbeck
  • if you're interested in King Arthur's time
  • or if you're simply looking for a good adventure/fantasy read


316 pages, 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment