Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaiman

There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife. 

I hadn't read The Graveyard Book before, because the plot just never sounded interesting. I was wrong. I think Gaiman just really has a gift for language, especially in fantasy. The protagonist is Bod, short for Nobody. As a toddler, his family was killed, and he found his way to the graveyard, where the ghosts adopted him. He's grown up there. Bod has all sorts of adventures in the graveyard...but if he leaves, he will be in danger from Jack, the murderer of his family.

This was a very suspenseful one. It wasn't as good as Stardust, but almost. As I said, Gaiman's writing style is so amazing. It's hard to describe. You really have to read it to understand. Maybe I'll read Coraline now. Anyway, The Graveyard Book has the same feel of Stardust, though it's a very different story.

I liked the character of Bod. He's adventurous, and always getting into trouble, but he usually learns something from his experiences. Thanks to Zoe for finally motivating me to read it. If you loved Stardust, definitely try The Graveyard Book.

Read The Graveyard Book:
  • if you like Neil Gaiman
  • if you like fantasy
  • if you like books set in graveyards/cemeteries
307 pages. 
 
Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment