Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Stories, F. Scott Fitzgerald

From "The Offshore Pirate": This unlikely story begins on a sea that was a blue dream, as colorful as blue-silk stockings, and beneath a sky as blue as the irises of children's eyes.

I enjoyed some of these short stories. I'd read The Great Gatsby, but I didn't really like it. It got tedious, and there didn't seem to be much point. But I liked this a bit better. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is indeed a very famous Fitzgerald story, but a lot of the other ones in this volume from Penguin were interesting too, especially the first few.

I will admit though that these ones got kind of tedious too (especially the later stories in the collection.) They were all very similar, and though the "Roaring Twenties" are portrayed very well, a lot of them were uninteresting. Fitzgerald is a good writer, but they're just so repetitive. They're all about young men and women trying to cope with life in various ways. Some of the stories were interesting, others not so much. I'll admit, I skipped some of the ones at the end, so you can't say I technically "finished the book." I was bored, okay? Regardless, if you like F.Scott Fitzgerald, this is a good, comprehensive collection. However, I do not really like F. Scott Fitzgerald, as I've discovered.

Read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button:
  • if you like F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • if you like short stories
  • if you like stories set in the 1920s
411 pages.
 
Okay book, but it left me wanting more!

No comments:

Post a Comment