Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tales of the Norse Gods, retold by Barbara Leonie Picard


I found this review saved in my drafts from all the way back in January. I don't know why I didn't post it then, so it here it is now, almost a year later:

I love reading different types of mythology, especially Norse mythology. Wagner's Ring Cycle, some of my favorite operas, were based on Norse myth, so I'm particularly interesting in it. I really loved this retelling of the Norse myths, which was for children. Leonie Picard's writing style was straightforward, and most of the Norse stories were included, such as the creation of the world, the golden apples, Loki's children, and stories of Thor. Also, the building of the citadel and the Valkyries. I really enjoyed reading the Norse myths again, and I liked the format of this book. Each tale is told separately, and the text of the book is nicely printed on the page. I also loved the descriptions of each god and goddess, from the major ones (trickster Loki, wise and powerful Odin, brave Thor, Freyia, the goddess of love and beauty, Frigg, etc.) to the more minor ones (Balder, the sun god, Bragi, the god of poetry, and Skadi, the goddess of the mountains.) Another thing that I liked was the interpretation/style that Leonie Picard used to write about the end of the gods. I'd never heard the story told quite in the way that she did. 144 pages, 4 stars.

Note: As you can see, it is very short. It is also from last January, when my reviews were shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment