Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Keeping the Castle, Patrice Kindl

We were walking in the castle garden. The silvery light of early spring streaked across the grass, transforming the overgrown shrubbery into a place of magic and romance.

Seventeen year old Althea lives with her widowed mother, young brother, and two ungrateful stepsisters in the crumbling Crawley Castle, a wreck of a building built by her great-grandfather. Althea has to support them; in short, she has to marry a wealthy man. But there are few of those around in their small Yorkshire town of Lesser Hoo. Althea sets her sights on Lord Boring (yes, that's actually his name). There's one problem: Mr. Fredericks, his cousin and business manager, keeps getting in the way. And he has plans of his own...

On the jacket, the book is described as "a book as frothy and fizzy and light as a champagne cocktail- think I Capture the Castle meets Pride and Prejudice!" It was definitely similar to I Capture the Castle, though less so in my opinion to Pride and Prejudice. I enjoyed Althea as a character, except for on pages 8-9, when Althea claims that it is "scientifically proven that a woman's small brain is not capable of understanding much beyond matters of the household." Grr. I don't get why that was included at all.

Keeping the Castle is definitely very "frothy, fizzy and light", though I wouldn't know about the champagne cocktail part. Very light romance/comedy, I would say. I liked it, though I didn't love it. I'm certainly glad that I checked it out from the library (and didn't buy it.)

Read Keeping the Castle
  • if you liked I Capture the Castle
  • if you like historical fiction
  • if you like light romance
  • perhaps if you like Jane Austen
  • if you like Patrice Kindl
261 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment