Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern

This was a really good book. It was darkly mysterious, and made me want to keep on reading, and not put it down. It tells of the Night Circus, or Le Cirque des Reves, which is an amazing circus that opens only at night. Inside the circus, however, a fierce competition or "game" is going on between two illusionists, Marco and Celia, bound by their masters to play the game to completion. They innocently fall in love, not realizing how the game must end- with only one person left standing. One thing that I really enjoyed about this were the fanciful descriptions about the circus and its tents. It made me feel like I was really there in the circus, breathing in the scents and sounds. I also liked the ideas for tents that the author; they were really wonderful. There is a beautiful and complicated clock in the middle of the circus, and I loved how its clockwork was described. The ending was a bit enigmatic, but it was meant to be that way, I think. 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment