Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Sherman Alexie

This is a serious, but funny book. I know, I know, contradiction! But it's true. For example, it's about a very serious subject: a Native American boy, Junior, who leaves his reservation to go to an all white high school, but he also likes to draw cartoons. His cartoons are very funny, and always correlate with what's going on in the story in a very humorous way. Junior leaves his reservation on the advice of his geometry teacher. I liked this book, which was interesting, though it may be a bit cliched. I'm not sure.One of my favorite things about the book was the voice of the narrator. He sounded exactly like a teenager would sound, always viewing everything in a funny, weird, teenager-ish way. One of it's "themes" is to never give up, no matter how unlikely it seems that you'll succeed. I'd never read Sherman Alexie before, and I liked the book pretty well. It was a good book, but I think people here make a big deal about it because he writes about Washington state. But thanks Mr. Gacek, for recommending it to me. 230 pages, 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment