Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Am the Messenger, Markus Zusak

This fanciful and funny book was written by the same author as the Book Thief, which is one of my favorite books. I Am the Messinger is certainly not as serious as the Book Thief at first glance, but it is actually pretty meaningful. Ed Kennedy, an underage cab driver without much of a future inadvertently stops a bank robbery. Then, he gets an Ace of Diamonds in the mail, with some addresses on the back. That's when he becomes "the messenger." He is chosen to care about people in need in many different ways, and to help them. But one question remains. Who's behind Ed's mission? I really loved this book, though the plot doesn't sound that interesting at first. But it was a clever book, and I liked the characters, including the Doorman, his stinky, coffee-loving dog, his ever-cursing mother, a whole host of dysfunctional friends, the people who he's helping, and of course, Ed Kennedy himself. I really enjoyed reading this book, which was a pretty fast read. Also, the ending was really sweet and just felt right. 357 pages, 4.9 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment