Saturday, May 5, 2012

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte

I have just returned from a visit to my landlord- the solitary neighbor that I shall be troubled with. This is certainly a beautiful country! In all England, I do not believe that I could have fixed on a situation so completely removed from the stir of society. 


I loved Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and I can say without a doubt that I loved Wuthering Heights just as much. The Bronte sisters are so talented! I hope to read something by Anne Bronte, the less well known sister, too. Wuthering Heights is about a destructive and consuming love between Heathcliff, an orphan who comes to the mansion of Wuthering Heights, and Cathy, the daughter of the wealthy family that takes him in. They are drawn together as soon as they meet. The novel is narrated partly by Mr. Lockwood, a tenant who meets Heathcliff many years later. His housekeeper, Mrs. Dean, tells him about the events that happened years earlier, making for a gripping, suspenseful, and sad story.

Wuthering Heights is very complex, especially the character of Heathcliff. He's not "good" or "bad"; he's conflicted, a multi-layered character. At times, I sympathized with Heathcliff; at other times, I really hated him. Wuthering Heights is difficult to put into any category. It is realistic, but it also has supernatural beings, with ghosts and graves and a love that transcends time. But it also is a mystery, asking complicated questions. The writing is very old-fashioned, but it's not too overwritten, though I did have a little trouble with some of the Yorkshire dialect. But that occurs very rarely; there's just one minor character who speaks that way.

Read Wuthering Heights:
  • if you like Jane Eyre and are looking for a (slightly) more complicated story
  • if you like dark, tragic, romance
  • if you like supernatural elements in a fairly realistic book
  • if you like mysteries
  • if you are looking for an interesting classic
406 pages.

 

Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment