Wednesday, May 23, 2012

At Large and At Small: Familiar Essays, Anne Fadiman

The net was green. The handle was wood, and the grip was uncomfortably thick, like that of a tennis racket borrowed from an older player. 


Those first two sentences were from the first essay in this book, "Collecting Nature." I was interested in this book and delighted to discover that the Timberland Library had it. Anne Fadiman writes about familiar things: her crush on Charles Lamb, her habit of catching butterflies, her ice cream obsession, and some more serious ones as well. Her writing style is really engaging and witty, whether she's writing about a serious thing or just something that she enjoys. I really loved this book and all the topics that Fadiman chose to write about. I think my favorite essay was the one called "Night Owl", which talked about her sleeping habits. It was really interesting. I also, of course, liked the one about ice cream. I would really recommend this book.

Read At Large and At Small:
  • if you like short essays
  • if you are looking for a very witty and interesting book
196 pages.
 
Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment