Monday, April 2, 2012

The Color Purple, Alice Walker

Dear God, I am fourteen years old. I am I have always been a good girl. Maybe you can give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me. 


This is a very famous book, I believe. It tells of two black sisters, Celie and Nellie- one a wife in the South, and the other a missionary in Africa-and their continued loyalty and trust to each other across time, distance, and silence. This was a great story, and though it started out kind of confusedly, I really loved it.  I enjoyed the way that Alice Walker presented the story in letters from the two sisters either to each other, or to God. That was an interesting writing tactic in my opinion. The main character of the story is Celie. She's such a strong character, abused by her father, who then marries her off to a cold man who she refers to as Mr. _____.  Her husband also separates her from the only person, who has really loved her, Nellie her sister. But she meets Shug Avery, her husband's mistress as well as other a characters. A really great book overall, which was very interesting. I loved it.

Read The Color Purple:

  • if you're interested in black literature
  • if you're looking for a wonderful story about two sisters
288 pages.

 

Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!


No comments:

Post a Comment