Friday, December 16, 2011

The Smile, Donna Jo Napoli

Well, I did finish a book today, as it turns out. This book is a historical fiction book. It is a fictional account of the model for Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, and has much romance in it. This sounds like an extremely interesting plot, and I love historical fiction, but I didn't like this author's writing style that much. For example, on pg. 28, "The messenger pulls up alongside us. 'Il Magninfico is dead.' Papa shakes his head. 'What? What are you saying?''Lorenzo de' Medici. Il Magnifico- he died.'"
This is so blunt, just horrible writing. There are other patchy instances as well. Also, the main character falls in love with one of the Medicis, but instead she is forced to marry another man! I so wanted her to protest, to rebel against this society which forces her to marry. But no, she submits, and cannot marry the man she truly loves.
It was an interesting book in that I learned some of Florence's history. But not the greatest writing style. Although I looked up some reviews of it, and lots of people seemed to like it. So maybe it's just me. 2 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment