Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Return of the King, J.R.R. Tolkien

The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)Pippin looked out from the shelter of Gandalf's cloak. He wondered if he was awake or still sleeping, still in the swift-moving dream in which he had been wrapped so long since the great ride began. 

"Concluding the story begun in The Hobbit, this is the final part of Tolkien's epic masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings. The armies of the Dark Lord are massing as his evil shadow spreads ever wider. Men, Dwarves, Elves and Ents unite forces to do battle agains the Dark. Meanwhile, Frodo and Sam struggle further into Mordor in their heroic quest to destroy the One Ring. Impossible to describe in a few words, JRR Tolkien's great work of imaginative fiction has been labelled both a heroic romance and a classic fantasy fiction. By turns comic and homely, epic and diabolic, the narrative moves through countless changes of scene and character in an imaginary world which is totally convincing in its detail. Tolkien created a vast new mythology in an invented world which has proved timeless in its appeal."

The last book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I enjoyed The Return of the King. Still, The Two Towers remains my favorite of the three. It is the least bogged down and the most entertaining of the books. The Return of the King was just as good as The Fellowship of the Ring though. I really wanted to return to Frodo and Sam's adventures right from the beginning, but that had to wait until later. The second half of the book, to be more exact. 

There are a lot of new characters in this one; a lot of the place names and character names got really confusing. I had difficulty keeping them straight, and to be frank, I just kind of stopped trying. To really fully absorb everything, I would have to reread this one at least several times. 

My favorite character in this one was probably Eowyn; she's the only really strong female character in the whole trilogy (except for Galadriel, perhaps). I enjoyed reading about her. I also really like Sam Gamgee; Frodo doesn't deserve such a faithful servant. Merry and Pippin really interest me too; I like especially what happens towards the end of the book when they come back to the Shire. One other thing I did like about The Return of the King was the ending. It was bittersweet, yet so perfect, bringing this trilogy to an excellent close. I would recommend this one, though it's not my favorite of the three. The Lord of the Rings is still an amazing series. 

Read The Return of the King:
  • if you like J.R.R Tolkien
  • if you liked the first two books
  • if you like classic fantasy
311 pages. 
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment