Saturday, February 2, 2013

Dedications of My Favorite Books

I've been thinking about dedications lately. They're something you tend to forget about, but every almost every book has them, and they're one of the first things that you read written by the author (unless you skip them). And in some cases, the dedications set a certain tone, if they're more than just a name. Here are the dedications of some of my favorite books:

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht: "For Stefan Obreht".
Graceling by Kristin Cashore: "For my mother, Nedda Previtera Cashore, who has a meatball Grace, and my father, J. Michael Cashore, who is Graced with losing (and finding) his glasses."
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: No dedication that I could find, surprisingly. I can easily imagine a magical, sparkling one for this book, but sadly, no.
The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor: None. I wasn't that surprised on this one.
Divergent by Veronica Roth: "To my mother, who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders  how she missed it for so long."
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell: "To J.R.M."
The Help by Kathryn Stockett: "To Grandaddy Stockett, the best storyteller of all."
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger: Not sure. I don't own a copy.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: "For Elisabeth and Helmut Zusak, with love and admiration."
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: No dedication. Not surprised.
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: "For Mr. Lee and Alice in consideration of Love & Affection."
Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City: "For the wonderfully irregular Caroline McDonald, who first discovered the secret of Kiki Strike but didn't live to share it."
Stardust by Neil Gaiman: "For Gene and Rosemary Wolfe."

It's interesting how some of them are just simple names and others have an explanation or an added note. I'll definitely be making sure to check out the dedications to every book I read.

I have a couple books dedicated to me too...
If by Leonard Schwartz: "For Zhang Er and Cleo." That's me!
Ear and Ethos by Leonard Schwartz: "For Cleo." Also me.

No comments:

Post a Comment