Friday, December 7, 2012

Rereading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (with 1 spoiler)

When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.

To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing novel. It's set in Maycomb County, Alabama, and is the story of Jean Louise "Scout", who is seven years old at the beginning of the story. Her brother Jem is a few years older than her and her father Atticus is a lawyer. To Kill a Mockingbird is the story of Scout's adventures, also of a pivotal trial between Tom Robinson, a black man, and the Ewells, a "white trash" family. Atticus is defending Tom Robinson, causing much controversy, and much taunting for his children. Also that year, Jem and Scout begin a long fascination with the mysterious Boo Radley, who is supposedly crazy, and is shut up in the house.


To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely one of my favorite novels. The subject matter is really gripping and I love the writing. Scout narrates in an amazing voice; very compelling. Much like Margaret Mitchell, Harper Lee is a Southern writer, and only wrote one novel (though she is still alive). I wish she wrote more.

One of my favorite sequences is probably the trial. Atticus is so brilliant; he builds up a big case for Tom Robinson, and yet racial prejudice prevails, despite the fact that there was no concrete evidence that Tom committed the crime. It's really sad, but one of the most riveting parts of the novel. Even if, like me, you knew what was going to happen, you still couldn't put the book down. And for Scout and particularly Jem, who are so sure that Tom will be acquitted, it's a huge blow.

I love the characters as well; Scout is inquisitive and fearless, and I like Atticus a lot too. To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing American classic, and I would highly recommend it. I love everything about this novel, from the setting, to the subject matter, to the characters, to the writing.

Read To Kill a Mockingbird:
  • if you like Southern fiction
  • if you like historical fiction
281 pages.
 
Outstanding Book That Will Stay On My Bookshelf For Rereading (jf I own it)!

No comments:

Post a Comment