Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ruby Redfort Look Into My Eyes, Lauren Child

From Chapter 1: Ruby Redfort was perched on a high stool in front of the bathroom window, her binoculars trained on a cake delivery truck that had been parked on Cedarwood Drive for precisely twenty-one minutes. So far, no one had emerged from the truck with so much as a blueberry muffin. 

Ruby Redfort Look Into My Eyes is a quirky and amusing middle-grade mystery. Our main character is a thirteen year old girl named Ruby Redfort, who is well practiced in the art of being a detective, despite her young age. A new household manager a.k.a. butler named Hitch shows up, and Ruby discovers Spectrum, a secret agency. There seems to be a plot to steal the large shipment of gold coming to the bank. But not everything is what it seems...

Ruby Redfort was written in a sort of hard-boiled detective manner, which was very amusing, as Ruby is just 13 years old. The mystery was suspenseful, and I wasn't sure who was behind it until the very end. There's a lot going on in this book, which I got from Candlewick Press.

I liked Ruby's character; she was smart, cheeky, and (mostly) on top of things. And all the descriptions of super-cool gadgets were amazing (oh, how I would love to have some of those!) I would definitely recommend this mystery.

Read Ruby Redfort Look Into My Eyes:
  • if you like mystery
  • if you like hard-boiled detective mystery
  • if you liked the Clarice Bean books (not that I've ever read them)
383 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment