Thursday, September 6, 2012

Rereading Just Ella by Margaret Haddix

The fire had gone out, and I didn't know what to do. I was covered with a king's ransom of silk-sewn comforters and surrounded by six warming pans, so I was still mostly warm. But my nose was exposed and freezing, and I heard no friendly crackling from the direction of the hearth. For some reason the chambermaid in charge of keeping my fire going had overslept or forgotten me. Or perhaps I had awakened too early, before it was time for her to come on duty. I hadn't figured out  the palace work schedule yet. 

"It's a familiar story: In spite of the obstacles put in her way by her wicked stepmother, Ella goes to the ball, sweeps Prince Charming off his feet, and is chosen to be his bride. Now she's comfortably ensconced in the palace, awaiting marriage to the man of her dreams. It's happily ever after time, right? Wrong! Life for Ella has become an endless round of lessons and restrictions; even worse, Prince Charming turns out to be more like Prince Boring. Why can't she talk with him the way she can with Jed, her earnest young tutor? Slowly, Ella comes to realize she doesn't want the life she fought so hard to win. But breaking her engagement proves more difficult -- and dangerous -- than escaping her stepmother's tyranny." 

Just Ella is an easy, but engaging, continuation of the story Cinderella. There's nothing too original about it, but it is still a fun one to read. It took me probably only a little over an hour to reread it. I enjoyed the spunky character of Ella; she's sick of the hypocrisy and sheltered life of the palace. Most of the book is her in the palace coming to the realization that she doesn't want this life. But she doesn't know how difficult it will be to break her engagement. You can't just say no to a prince, after all. Or can you? Anyway, an enjoyable and quick read.

Read Just Ella:
  • if you like fantasy
  • if you like retellings or continuations of fairy tales
  • if you like Margaret Haddix
218 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment