Monday, September 24, 2012

Enchanted, Alethea Kontis

My name is Sunday Woodcutter, and I am doomed to a happy life. I am the seventh daughter of Jack and Seven Woodcutter, Jack a seventh son and Seven a seventh daughter herself. 

Enchanted is a pretty good fantasy. It combines snippets of various fairytales. It is the story (as you might have guessed) of Sunday Woodcutter. She has older sisters, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. etc. You know the old rhyme? "Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, Wednesday's child is full of woe, Thursday's child has far to go, Friday's child is loving and giving, Saturday's child works hard for a living. But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day is blithe and bonny and good and gay." Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday still live at home with their parents and brothers. Monday has married a prince far away, Tuesday killed herself from dancing, and Thursday married the Pirate King.

Anyway, Sunday likes to write (the first few paragraphs in the book are from her diary). But unfortunately, things she write tend to have a habit of coming true, so she writes about the past and her family. One day, Sunday meets a talking frog named Grumble. She knows that talking frogs are generally princes, but she doesn't know that this one is her family's enemy. One day she leaves him, not realizing that her kiss has turned him back into a human. Enchanted was light and amusing, with, as I said, many different fairy-tales mixed in. I enjoyed all of the sisters but...

Becky is right. I was really confused by the voices that the prince is hearing. Who is it? And sometimes the writing could be confusing. Maybe I was just reading too fast (I tend to do that.) So that bit prevented me from giving this a 5 star. Also, it was kind of strange that Sunday never figured out that the prince she's falling in love with is her own Grumble. You'd think she'd realize that she has this special connection with him because of that. But. Still, it was a fun one, and I do enjoy fairy tale retellings. Overall, it was a nice light read, and I'm glad that I requested it from Harcourt.

Read Enchanted:
  • if you like fairy tales
  • if you like fantasy
  • if you like mystery
  • if you like light romance
305 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment