Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Lost World & Other Stories, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Z2SgqebGL.jpgFrom The Lost World: Mr. Hungerton, her father, really was the most tactless person upon earth- a fluffy, feather, untidy cockatoo of a man, perfectly good-natured, but absolutely centred upon his own silly self. If anything could have driven me from Gladys, it would have been the thought of such a father-in-law.

I have of course read Sherlock Holmes, and I really loved the Doyle's science fiction stories too. There are, I think, 5 stories in this book, all eerie sci-fi. One deals with a mysterious sheltered land in the Amazon, home to pre-historic creatures, another with a "poison belt" that the earth passes through, and another with Spiritualism.  They were all really entertaining, but I think The Poison Belt was the most creepy. The premise is that the earth is passing through an ether cloud that will kill everyone on earth (or so they think.) Like Sherlock Holmes, many of the stories are narrated by Malone, a reporter. But the main character is really Professor Challenger. There are many good characters, and as I said, this is a gripping story. The Lost World is also very good, and kind of scary. The book challenges everything we think we "know" about the world; that dinosaurs are extinct, that humans are invincible, etc. etc. I would definitely recommend this to fans of Sherlock Holmes and of science fiction.

Read The Lost World & Other Stories:
  • if you like science fiction
  • if you like Sherlock Holmes and other Conan Doyle
461 pages.
Very Good! I would recommend this book

No comments:

Post a Comment