Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Soldier's Secret: The Incredible True Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero, Marissa Moss

"Just a minute there." The recruiter stops me as I lean over to dip the pen in ink. "You can't enlist." 


I freeze. Can he tell? I'm wearing a shirt, vest, and trousers as usual, my curly hair cut short except for a lock that insists on falling over my forehead. I brush it away nervously and meet the man's eyes. I've been passing for nearly three years now, but every new encounter still brings with it the same fear. I take nothing for granted. The key thing, I remind myself, is not to reveal anything, to act as normal as possible.


Frank Thompson isn't an ordinary soldier in the Union. He's a nurse, treating the wounds of injured solders, a spy, going over to the Rebel side and finding out secrets, and a mail carrier, delivering precious letters to the other soldiers. But Frank is actually a woman, Sarah Emma Edmonds.

Sarah narrates the book as she struggles with lying about who she is, and falls in love with one of her soldiers, all while witnessing the horror of the Civil War. A Soldier's Secret is based on the true story of Sarah Emma Edmonds, a teenager who did disguise herself as a man during the war. A Soldier's Secret also includes period photographs to enhance the reading.

I really liked this book. I always love books about a woman disguising herself. At first, Sarah disguises herself to escape from her abusive father, but she realizes that she has more freedom as a man. During the war, Sarah discovers a lot about herself and about people. I love historical fiction too, so this was the perfect book for me (and I'm really interested in the Civil War!) A Soldier's Secret vividly portrays life on the front lines, and definitely felt very realistic. I really enjoyed it. This book isn't coming out until September, and I received an advance review copy from Abram's.

Read A Soldier's Secret
  • if you like historical fiction
  • if you are interested in the Civil War
  • if you like stories of women masquerading as men
362 pages.
 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment