Thursday, July 5, 2012

Little Bee, Chris Cleave

http://www.chriscleave.com/blog_extras/images/bee_paperback.jpgMost days I wish I was a British pound coin instead of an African girl. Everyone would be pleased to see me coming.

Little Bee is certainly a very interesting book; at first it didn't seem that great, but then I found myself drawn in. As the book says on the back, when you tell your friends about it you don't want to tell them happens. So I won't. But Little Bee is about two women; Sarah, a British woman, and Little Bee from Nigeria. Their lives collide when Sarah and her husband Andrew take a vacation to Nigeria and encounter Little Bee and her sister on a beach. Little Bee eventually joins Sarah in England. This book, by the author of Gold, was also given to me by Simon & Schuster, and was originally the one I was most interested in. But for me, Gold was ultimately more gripping. That's not to say the Little Bee was no good; I did like it a lot. And I love the name Little Bee. Sarah and Little Bee alternate in narrating the chapters, and Little Bee is really wise and full of experience, though she is only sixteen. Sarah has experience too, but probably a little less than Little Bee, and this is really striking, because she is so much older.

Sarah and Little Bee are very different women. In comparison to Little Bee, Sarah seems pampered and used to the easy life. But she has her problems too. Little Bee has seen a lot of bad things, and she has to deal with the repercussions of them. You can read Book Weyr's excellent review of it here.

The ending of Little Bee was bittersweet, and you weren't really sure how it would all work out in the end. But despite the sadness of the book, it is laced throughout with hope, and is definitely a worthwhile read.

Read Little Bee:
  • if you like Chris Cleave
  • if you are interested in Nigeria
266 pages.
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment