Friday, April 6, 2012

Mrs. Mike, Benedict and Nancy Freedman

The worst winter in fifty years, the old Scotsman had told me. I'd only been around for sixteen, but it was the worst I'd seen, and I was willing to take his word for the other thirty-four.
 

I normally don't really like romance that much, but this book wasn't just a romance. Katherine Mary O'Fallon comes to Calgary, Alberta, and falls in love with Mike Flannigan, a sergeant in the Canadian Mounted Police. They travel north into the wilderness to live an honest, good life. My favorite part of the book was the descriptions of the beautiful landscape in northern Canada: the animals, the trees, the mountains, the rivers, the ice. And I liked the descriptions of living up there in that rather harsh place. The beginning was slightly unconvincing though, a love at first sight kind of deal. But other than that, the rest of the book was quite enjoyable. This book wasn't so much romance because Katherine and Mike got married almost immediately; it was more about living in harsh conditions and still being happy and honest.

Read Mrs. Mike:
  • if you like romance-ish books
  • if you like stories of frontier life in harsh conditions
  • if you are interested in Canada or wilderness in general
302 pages.

 
Very Good! I would recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment