Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Favorite Books in 2013

I read a lot of great books in 2013. I'm traveling at the moment, but here's a quick year-end wrap-up of my 2013 reading.

These are very subjective, and there are certainly a lot of other books that I read and enjoyed; these books are just my absolute favorites of the books I read this year.

January: Some of my favorite new books reviewed in January, although some of these I may have read in 2012:
The Greatest Show on Earth, Richard Dawkins
Our Man in Havana, Graham Greene

February:
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen

March:
How to Lead a Life of Crime, Kirsten Miller
Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein
The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton

April:
Lady Susan, the Watsons, Sanditon, Jane Austen
Poison Study, Maria V. Snyder

May:
The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
The Unchangeable Spots of Leopards, Kristopher Jansma
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Bronte
Eighty Days, Matthew Goodman

June:
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins

July:
The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman
Tisha, Robert Specht

August:
The Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo (I'd read this before, but so long ago it hardly counted)
A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf

September:
Siege and Storm, Leigh Bardugo
Crown of Midnight, Sarah Maas
Moon Palace, Paul Auster

October:
Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson
Rose Under Fire, Elizabeth Wein
The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
The Golem and the Jinni, Helene Wecker

December:
The Importance of Being Earnest & Other Plays, Oscar Wilde

Most certainly my favorite books published this year were Rose Under Fire, The Golem and the Jinni, and Eighty Days. In terms of older books, I discovered the amazing Room of One's Own over the summer (and have since recommended it to a friend who loved it), as well as Wilde's plays, which were great.

I look forward to another year of great reading of books both old and new! Look for another post about my plans for 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment